- Easy to read instructions, colour photographs, and pattern pieces
- Use an internal tubular frame to create this classic carpet bag shape
- Two sizes - small (8.5" frame) and large (12" frame)
- Bag of the Month Club pattern for January 2015
- Updated February 2019
The Companion Carpet Bag features a full width front pocket, which you can trim with piping or lace, bag feet, leather handles and optional leather snap tab. Inside there's a zipped pocket and a slip pocket. The pattern uses an internal tubular frame, either 8.5" or 12". You don't need the top snap tab as the frame holds everything closed nicely, but it's a great accent feature
The Companion Carpet Bag pattern is suitable for pretty much any woven fabrics, from quilting cottons to upholstery chenille, and you can sew this on a regular domestic sewing machine. You won't need a special machine to make this carpet bag.
The Companion Carpet Bag sewing pattern features comprehensive instructions, pattern pieces, and colour photographs.
If you have a different frame size to the ones I recommend, you can adjust your pattern to fit the frame, using my tutorial: Adjusting the Companion Carpet Bag to Fit the Frame.
You can also add elasticated pockets to your Companion Carpet Bag, by following my tutorial.
The Companion Carpet Bag sewing pattern is classified as a beginner pattern. It is written in UK English and has been thoroughly tested by a team of expert pattern testers.
The paper sewing pattern is an A5 booklet with printed pattern pieces. The downloadable PDF sewing pattern features printable pattern pieces and a text only section to save on ink and paper costs. When you buy our PDF sewing patterns, they are immediately added to your online account. Access this through My Downloadable Products on your dashboard, or find out more about how to download and print PDF sewing patterns here: How to download and print your PDF sewing pattern.
Buy The Companion Carpet Bag direct from Sewing Patterns by Mrs H today!
What difficulty is this sewing pattern?
This is a beginner pattern, but if you get stuck pop over to our Facebook group for support or send us an email.
How big is The Companion Carpet Bag?
If you use an 8.5" frame the finished size will be 12" wide x 8" high x 6" deep (30.5cm x 20cm x 15cm). If you use a 12" frame the finished size will be 16" wide x 10" high x 6" deep (41cm x 25cm x 15cm). Or follow my tutorial to adjust the size to fit your frame.
What materials do I need?
- 1 x FQ Main fabric
- 1/2yd (0.45m) Contrast fabric
- 1yd (0.9m) Lining fabric
- 18" x 26" (0.45m x 0.91m) Foam stabiliser
- 1 3/4 yd (1.5m) Medium weight fusible interfacing
- 9" x 5 1/2" (23cm x 14cm) bag base (plastic canvas, thin plastic cutting mat)
- 1 x 7" (18cm) size 3 zip (longer can be cut down)
- 1 x 8 1/2" (22cm) internal tubular frame
- 3/4yd (0.75m) Main fabric
- 1 1/8yd (1m) Contrast fabric
- 1 1/8yd (1m) Lining fabric
- 20" x 36" (0.5m x 0.91m) Foam stabiliser
- 2 1/4yd (2m) Medium weight fusible interfacing
- 1 x 12" (30.5cm) internal tubular frame
- 1 x 8" (20cm) size 3 zip (longer can be cut down)
- 12" x 5 1/2" (30.5cm x 14cm) bag base (plastic canvas, thin plastic cutting mat)
- 1 x 5/8" (18mm) slim magnetic snap, 4 x 1/2" (12mm) bag feet
- 4 x Emmaline Diamond Strap Connectors
- Double sided basting tape
- Zip foot
- Walking foot
- Duct tape
- Scraps of stabiliser
- Fray check
What's the tag for social media?
Where can I find more inspiration?
For more photos and information please visit my blog: New Carpet Bag Testers!
Is there a sew along for The Companion Carpet Bag?
I've found a mistake!
This pattern does have some known errors. Check our Errata page to see if your issue is listed and to see our solution for the issue. If you can't find your mistake on the Errata page, please send us an email to email@example.com so that we can add it to our list.
I have a question not answered here