- Easy to read instructions, colour photographs, and pattern pieces
- Available in two sizes with two different strap lengths
- Ideal for all ages
This nifty Duffel Backpack is a fun and easy sew. It has a gently curved oval base, offset seams to reduce bulk, zip pocket, slip pocket and the straps cross each other to ensure the top stays cinched closed, although there is also a magnetic snap to ensure that's it's secure.
The Duffel Backpack is classified as a beginner-level bag sewing pattern. It is written in UK English and has been thoroughly tested by a team of expert pattern testers
The Duffel Backpack bag sewing pattern features comprehensive instructions, pattern pieces, and colour photographs. The downloadable PDF pattern features printable pattern pieces and a text only section to save on ink and paper costs.When you buy our PDF sewing patterns, they are immediately added to your online account. Access this through My Downloadable Products in your Mrs H account dashboard, or find out more about how to download and print PDF sewing patterns here: How to download and print your PDF sewing pattern.
Buy The Duffel Backpack sewing pattern direct from Sewing Patterns by Mrs H today!
What difficulty is this sewing pattern?
The Duffel Backpack was designed for beginner-level bagmakers. However, if you get stuck, click here to visit our Facebook group for support: Facebook Support Group for Sewing Patterns by Mrs H.
How big is the finished bag?
The Small Duffel backpack has finished dimensions of 9" x 10" x 5" (23cm x 25.5cm x 12.5cm).
The Large Duffel backpack has finished dimensions of 11" x 12" x 7" (28cm x 30.5cm x 18cm).
What materials do I need?
This pattern works best in quilting cottons. Although slightly thicker fabrics will work for the Exterior, they will not work as the Contrast.
- ½ yd (0.4m) Exterior
- ½ yd (0.4m) Contrast
- 2/3 yd (0.6m) Lining
- 8” x 10” (20cm x 25.5cm) Ultra firm fusible interfacing such as Peltex, Decovil 1 or Vilene S520
- 36” x 12” (0.9m x 30.5cm) Foam stabiliser such as Vilene Style-vil or ByAnnie’s Soft & Stable
- 1 ⅝ yd (1.5m) Medium weight interfacing (Based on 90cm wide, narrower will need more) such as Pellon SF101, Vilene G700 or F220
- ⅝ yd (0.5m) Exterior
- ½ yd (0.4m) Contrast
- ⅞ yd (0.8m) Lining
- 8” x 12” (20cm x 30.5cm) Ultra firm fusible interfacing such as Peltex, Decovil 1 or Vilene S520
- 1 1/8yd (1m) Foam stabiliser such as Vilene Style-vil or ByAnnie’s Soft & Stable
- 1 ⅞ yd (1.75m) Medium weight interfacing (Based on 90cm wide, narrower will need more) such as Pellon SF101, Vilene G700 or F220
Strap fabric & medium weight interfacing:
- Petite & Small adults: 4” x 72” (10cm x 183cm)
- OR Adults: 4” x 90” (10cm x 229cm)
Hardware & Notions:
- 1 x Magnetic snap
- 1 x 8" (20cm) #3 Dressmaking Zip – If using continuous zipper, cut to 10” (25.5cm) long
- 2 x 1" (2.5cm) Rectangle rings
- 2 x 1" (2.5cm) Strap Sliders
- Double sided basting tape
- Zip foot & Walking foot
- Wonder clips
- Pressing cloth
- Pinking shears
- Bodkin or large safety pin
- Stapler & Staples (Optional)
What's the tag for social media?
Where can I find more inspiration?
Is there a sew along for The Duffel Backpack?
Yes, there is! Sew along with Mrs H on YouTube here: The Duffel Backpack video sew along with Mrs H
I've found a mistake!
Have you spotted an error with this pattern? Oh no! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can add it to our list to correct when the pattern is next updated.
I have a question not answered here