- Easy to read instructions, colour photographs, and pattern pieces
- Great for beginner bagmakers!
- Make in two sizes
- Simple construction - one pattern piece for the outer and for the lining
- Instructions for a zip pocket and slip pocket
- Fully lined crossbody strap
Simple but stylish, The Squiffy Sling is a great beginner sew. With fun asymmetrical styling but just one pattern piece for outer and lining, it's a quickie!
One of my most popular sewing patterns, this is a great pattern for showing off your interesting fabrics. Use a solid fabric in a bold colour to contrast with your faux leather base overlay, or use a fun design to really make the shape of the bag pop.
The pattern includes instructions on using a half moon magnetic snap, creating a fully lined cross body strap and adding both zip and slip pockets. There are also placement markings for using a different fastener on the pattern piece.
As this bag sewing pattern has just one main pattern piece, you might find it easiest to use non-directional fabrics. However, if you are thinking of using a directional fabric, PennyDog Patchwork has a pattern hack video on YouTube to help you get your prints the right way up.
The Squiffy Sling is classified as a beginner bag sewing pattern. It is written in UK English and has been thoroughly tested by a team of expert pattern testers.
The Squiffy Sling bag sewing pattern features comprehensive instructions, pattern pieces, and colour photographs.The paper pattern is an A5 booklet with printed pattern pieces. The downloadable PDF pattern features printable pattern pieces and a text only section to save on ink and paper costs. When you buy our PDF sewing patterns, they are immediately added to your online account. Access this through My Downloadable Products on your dashboard, or find out more about how to download and print PDF sewing patterns here: How to download and print your PDF sewing pattern.
Buy The Squiffy Sling sewing pattern direct from Sewing Patterns by Mrs H today!
What difficulty is this sewing pattern?
The Squiffy Sling is great for beginner bagmakers. However, if you get stuck, click here to visit our Facebook group for support: Facebook Support Group for Sewing Patterns by Mrs H.
How big is the finished bag?
The Squiffy Sling pattern can be made in two sizes. The smaller version is a petite 8" x 9" x 3" (20cm x 23cm x 8cm) and makes a perfect purse for shopping or days out. If you like to carry a little more in your everyday bag, the larger version is 10" x 11" x 4" (25cm x 28cm x 10cm).
What materials do I need?
- Half moon magnetic snap
- 1" triglide slider
- 1" rectangular ring
- 7" zip
Small Squiffy Sling Bag:
- 1/2 yd outer fabric
- 1/2 yd lining fabric
- 1/4yd faux leather (52" wide)
- 1/2yd medium weight fusible (based on 90cm wide, narrower will need more)
- 22" x 19" foam stabiliser
Large Squiffy Sling Bag:
- 3/4 yd outer fabric
- 3/4 yd lining fabric
- 1/2 yd faux leather (52" wide)
- 1 yd medium weight fusible (based on 90cm wide, narrower will need more)
- 28" x 26" foam stabiliser
What's the tag for social media?
Where can I find more inspiration?
Is there a sew along for The Squiffy Sling?
Not yet! Would you like to host one? Send us an email at email@example.com
I've found a mistake!
This pattern does have some known errors.
- Step 20 slip pocket, large version: Position below zip as best you feel it fits.
- Reported errors with material requirements: 1) Strap length should be 60" long, so 60" wide faux leather may be needed. 2) More than 0.5m of 40" (90cm) wide medium fusible may be needed.
- Reported error with clarity of instructions: Foam stabiliser is referred to as heavy stabiliser in the instructions.
You will complete list of errors found in our patterns on our Errata page. If you can't find your mistake in the list above or on the Errata page, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can add it to our list.
I have a question not answered here
Send us an email to email@example.com or pop over to the Sewing Patterns by Mrs H Facebook Support Group and we'll do our best to help!